Re: Problem with preview and the blocking print dialog

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:48 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> >I think the best way to do this is to rely on an external helper. For a
> >couple of reasons:
> >* Running something as complicated as a document viewer in the same
> >process as the application scares me for stability reasons. Its easy for
> >a bug in the viewer to bring the whole app down, or to affect it badly.
> >* Writing a good viewer is hard. Its not just about rendering the
> >metafile to a window and adding next/prev buttons. The people working on
> >evince have learnt this, and they have created a very nice viewer. This
> >would just be a massive amount of duplicative work.
> >

> But who needs a good viewer? Doesn't preview in gnomeprint
> work well enough? Preview is needed to get the user the idea
> of what he will have on paper (like will content fit on the page
> or he needs to change margins, or something), but it doesn't
> have to be of super good quality.

Being that it is easier and more stable to implement a solution that
will give you as close to exact representation of what will turn up on
paper I really don't see your argument that we should implement an
inferior viewer.

That being said, of course you want as close to exact in your preview.
It tells you what you are going to get without having to waste ink or
paper.

BTW, MacOSX does previews in this manner also.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>