Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

James Henstridge wrote:

The classic PRIMARY selection model used in X only really works if all
apps follow the rules.  That is, only the text in the PRIMARY selection
is displayed as selected.

If some apps ignore the rules then you can end up with two pieces of
text that appear to be selected.  This makes it ambiguous what the
middle-click paste will do.
Right. I propose to add an option which will make it ambiguous what the middle button click will do (though even now, try to select text, then minimize the window or something, and try to guess what middle button will do) *but* will make selection in text *not* disappear when you select text elsewhere. I do understand all this stuff about primary selection, and I do understand that many people are happy about it. Point is that "selected text == PRIMARY" is important only only for those who really care about it, and there are people who care more about "selected text == whatever I selected". The "whatever was selected last is in PRIMARY" is not that inconvenient, by the way. I use it, and it works fine for me. Almost never I select text, then select something else, then click middle button and discover that I pasted wrong stuff. Usually I select something and paste immediately.

So if you want to allow multiple selections at once, there are two options:

   * get rid of the concept of PRIMARY and middle-click paste.
Why, middle button is convenient.

   * figure out some way to allow the user to distinguish between
     "selected text" and "selected text that is also PRIMARY" without
     confusing the issue further.
I do not think it's even needed. A rule "when you select text it's put into PRIMARY" works just as fine as "when you press Ctrl-C selection is put into clipboard". Nobody can see what's in clipboard,
but it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Both of these options would probably require coordination with other
toolkit/application developers.
Come on, what toolkit/applications? KDE is plain broken in this regard, its text editor and web browser
work in different ways. Who else, tcl/tk?

Under the current scheme used in X, Mozilla is clearly doing the wrong
thing right now.
"wrong" as in "inconsistent and confusing for some people (e.g. for you)", but "right" as in "user-friendly"
(e.g. friendly to me).

Best regards,
Yevgen