Re: Gtk+ print support - request for feedback

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 13:25 -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:58:39PM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > The code consists of several parts. First we have the highlevel
> > portable print API that most apps are supposed to use, plus
> > implementations for win32 and unix. Then we have the code for the Unix
> > print dialog which is used for the unix implementation of the
> > highlevel code, but is also availible on unix only for apps like OOo
> > and Firefox to use as a "native" print dialog. The dialog is split
> > into common code and code implementing cups support. The cups support
> > is hidden behind a backend interface, and the long term plan is to
> > make it a module (like immodules or pixbuf loaders). However at the
> > moment its just linked in.
>
> So, what about systems without CUPS?

All the cups code is in a backend that will be a loadable module. It
will be possible to implement other backends, and its likely we'll add a
super-stupid system("lpr")-based backend as a generic fallback. If you
want anything other than that you need to bring out the editor and start
helping out.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad devious barbarian on a mission from God. She's a brilliant
foul-mouthed fairy princess who can talk to animals. They fight crime!