Re: Depending on C99 (Re: GtkBindingSignal changes)

On 05.01.2006 20:58, Roger Leigh wrote:

Hans Breuer <hans breuer org> writes:
Have you used any of the MS compilers to compile at least Glib?
The last free (as in in beer) version did not support linking with
the C-runtine as DLL at all.

No.  I've built everything from Glib up to some GNOME libs quite a
number of times with both Cygwin and MinGW, however.  GCC works
perfectly well, and can be binary compatible with the MS libraries
should you require it.

I know.

Why not simply drop usage of anything else than the latest GCC?
And ony be portable to differnt flavours of Linux? *No* NOT serious.

Support for obsolete, non-standard and proprietary compilers is not
particularly compelling for me as a free software developer,
particuarly when it prevents the use of beneficial features of the C
language as standardised by ISO.

Partitally agreed. But most of the C99 feature to me look like some
backports from C++. So I'm not weighting them too much. And instead
prefer the real thing as in C++ (not only) a better C.

I'm aware that quite a number of folks use MSVC to develop proprietary
applications, but I do have to question whether the long-term
detrimental effects of being tied to it outweigh being stuck in the
past.  I would be interested to know how many of the existing MSVC
users can't use GCC.

Me. At some point in time I managed to have a somewhat working build
environment with mingw. See:

But I never was able to reproduce it with a newer version. Also I still
highly prefer the use of the MS debugger than all the alternatives I've
IMHO for real development (not just compiling something, that others
have made work) a working debugger is quite useful.