Re: Common Save Confirmation Dialogue

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 01:16 +0100, Marc O'Morain wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Ben Maurer <bmaurer ximian com> wrote:
> > Some applications, like MonoDevelop or gedit need a way to specify
> > multiple documents eg:
> >
> > If you quit now, changes from these documents will be lost
> >     * blah.cs
> >     * foo.cs
> >     * baz.cs
> >
> > The dialog lets you choose what (if anything) to save.
> >
> > -- Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I agree that there needs to be a different dialogue box for
> applications with a multiple document interface (MDI). The common
> dialogue box that has been proposed would be only suitable for
> applications with single document interfaces.
>
> However, the majority of applications have SDI, and the HIG suggests
> that programmers should "Use SDI for your GNOME application unless
> there is a compelling reason not to."

  Even SDI applications usually support multiple windows served by the
same process, where File->Exit quits the application by closing all
windows.  Since each window contains one document, on File->Exit you may
have to confirm saving multiple documents.  And it's annoying to have to
confirm saving documents several times in sequence.

  Best regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.