Re: GtkSocket bug ? and patch

Quoting KC <kcc1967 gmail com>:

> Hi,
>

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:49:23 -0500, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 18:43 +0800, KC wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Let me describe the problem first.  I wrote a simple test program,
> > > gdk_socket_add_id.c, and try to steal a legacy X app., xeyes.
> > >
> > > I'm using Fedora Core 2 (with gtk+-2.4.14).  The procedure is as
> > > following:

> > > The result is two windows instead of one (xeyes embedded in embedder),
> > > but xeyes will resize if I resize the embedder.  Looks like xeyes
> > > does been controlled by embedder ... but reparent is not working.
> >
> > plug/socket is not designed for stealing, which is impossible to get
> > entirely right. It's designed for a pair of a cooperating embedder
> > (GtkSocket, say) and client (GtkPlug) speaking the XEMBED protocol.
> >
> > Regards,
> >                                                 Owen
> >

> I agree.  As far as I know, GtkSocket/GtkPlug are been used a lot in Bonoboo
> and probably designed for Bonoboo (this I'm not sure).
> However, the problem I mentioned did not related to both GtkSocket/GtkPlug,
> it's X reparent problem.  I just want to know if the patch I posted worthy
> apply or does XReparentWindow() do have such problem for some window
> managers.
>
> And IMHO, although GtkSocket/GtkPlug may not design for kidnapping legacy
> X applications ... it does work fine for such purpose.   Specially, when
> using
> such trick for text based interactive utilities such as gnuplot, GNU
> Octave, Maxima ... etc
> most of them don't know what's XEmbed protocal ... but they do worth
> to kidnap :-)

hi,

you can look on the code from my program alltray
(http://alltray.sourceforge.net/). version 0.1 uses gtksocket stuff, all others
direct xlib calls. (focus works better with handmade reparent, drag n drop does
not). Alltray waits till the window changed the state to withdrawn before it
reparents. (http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.2.1)

regards jochen