Re: howto compile static gtk app?

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:29:42 +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Jan Kratochvil <lace jankratochvil net> writes:
> > On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:22:50 +0100, Yang Hong wrote:
> > > I wan to compile a static gtk app, then it can run in a everiment
> > > without gtk libs.
> >
> [...]
>
> > GNU/Linux really is not suitable for end-user applications as long as you do
> > not stick to a single release of a single GNU/Linux distribution vendor.
> >
> I demand that GNU/Linux is perfectly suited for end-user applications - is
> there a "binary" missing in the above ;-)?

[-1 flamebait]

Even if you spend $$$ for a qualified Gnome engineer to patch, maintain both
the patches and neverending rebuilt versions of all those libraries it will
have security + bug flaws as the already installed binary will not use the
system libraries being continually security/bugfix updated. You may notice
those $$$ are just not worth the Gnome market share.

Another issue is such static standalone build will not follow the specific OS
configuration files settings to prevent errors during their interpretation due
to the missing optional dynamically loaded .so modules.

Minor issue may also be the unshared multimegabyte HelloWorld binary file size
with all its performance consequences.

Compatibility becomes another level of mostly impossible challenge if you
happen to require to bundle some custom Linux kernel driver with your app as on
top of the missing reqd ABI compatibility there is also no API compatibility.

Have fun,
Lace