Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:35 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 6 Jun 2005, at 12:57, Aschwin van der Woude wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I am alone in such situation, but at least for me the "recent
> > files" list is not very useful in most cases.
> > Even if this is more common than my own personal experience, I am not
> > sure what a solution is to this use-case. Perhaps grouping recent-
> > files
> > per directory or such...  I dunno... I am just pointing out my own
> > observations.
>
> Sounds like you might want something like either:
>
> Recent Files > Today >
>                 Yesterday >
>                 Monday >
>                 Sunday >
>                 Saturday >
>                 Friday >
>                 Thursday >
>                 ------------------
>                 All Recent Files >
>
> or
>
> Recent Files > Documents >
>                 Pictures >
>                 Music  >
>                 Websites >
>                 .
>                 .
>                 .
>                 ---
>                 All Recent Files >

Wow! They both sound great!
Perhaps the latter one might be slightly easier. Or at least *I* would
need to think harder whether I opened a picture on Thursday or some
other day, but would know it was a picture.

BTW the "recent files" submenu is in the bottom of the "Places" menu,
which is quite far down if you have created many bookmarks, devices, or
network-links. I'd say the submenu should be in top, which should also
make it easier on muscular memory as it would be always in the same
place (on screen) and require less movement with the mouse.

-Aschwin