Re: GTK+ and GLib 2.6 branch

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 00:37 +0100, Hans Breuer wrote:
> On 10.01.2005 17:18, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Branches for the stable GLib-2.6.x and GTK+-2.6.x series have now been
> > created, named:
> >
> >  GLIB: glib-2-6
> >  GTK+: gtk-2-6
> >
> > Notes:
> >
> >  - These are the branches for GNOME-2.10
> >  - GTK+ HEAD is going to grow a Cairo dependency soon, so if you
> >    hit that, that should be a reminder about this mail :-)
> Does this mean GTK+ will 'grow' that dependency regardless of the
> availability of a win32 backend for cairo, see (still pending):
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2004-November/002118.html

I don't plan on waiting to commit anything to CVS until we have a
working win32 backend. But I'm not planning on ignoring the win32
side either.... having a good-performing win32 cairo implementation
is essential to the success of 2.8, to the point where if necessary
I'll spend time on it myself.

I think mostly it just needs someone to sit down, sort out the
various win32 backends, get the build infrastructure(s) into place,
and say "this is the way that cairo should be for win32".

> Or does the planned Cairo integration don't need any native
> backend support?

With a few modifications to Cairo, it might be possible to use the
image backend with gdk_draw_pixbuf(), at the cost of being
extremely slow. I don't think that's interesting.