Re: DON'T update GTK+ po-properties translations

Hi Owen, Yukihiro,

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 03:02, Yukihiro Nakai wrote:
>> Could you commit some appealing messages in the directory?
>> Something like DONT_TRANSLATE_THIS file.
>>
>> I cannot find any warning messages in the directory.
>> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/rview.cgi?cvsroot=/cvs/gnome&dir=gtk%2b/po-properties
>>
>> Translators want to translate everything. If there is no big sign, you might
>> repeat to say this.
>
> I think what is meant is
>
>  Don't run intltool-update
>
> or something like that. Translating strings should be fine.

Yes, sorry for not being clear enough.  I just supposed that those who
are aware of the real problems won't have problems translating strings
anyway. Since at least one translation was commited with wrong
strings, I wanted this to be noticed, since it's no fun reverting more
of them, and it's especially no fun for translators who may not be so
proficient with CVS.

Otherwise, both translation status pages and intltool-update (two
most common mechanisms translators use to "refresh" their
translations) were broken at the time of message, and I think
translation status pages are still broken; it just doesn't show up
because they don't update the POT file at all. I can fix that, but I
don't want to do that before latest intltool from CVS is installed on
the machine where status pages are generated, otherwise, we would get
incorrectly updated PO files in the status pages, and we might
get some translators to commit incorrect translations as well, if they
don't hold the entire checkout.

> Running 'make update-po' should work fine.

If translators actually ran ./autogen.sh Gtk+ in their checkout, that
would be viable, but I seriously doubt they have.  Btw, not many know
about it anyway, and certainly most of them expect intltool-update to
work correctly. Maybe I'm wrong, but all the l10n guides point people
at intltool-update, so there's good chance of me not being wrong :)

> Maybe Danilo can clarify?

Hope it's a bit more clear now what I meant ;)

Didn't want to stop anyone from translating, of course, just wanted
to save translators from wasting some effort. I certainly expected
this to be resolved in a day or two, so I already posted a message on
gnome-i18n to use the latest intltool when updating Gtk+.

> (It looks like if you use the latest intltool CVS, running
> intltool-update should be fine as well.)

Yes, bug #131885 for intltool.

Cheers,
Danilo