Re: The new ComboBox hit CVS HEAD.

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 11:24, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 12:16, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >
> > Should we make it a requirement that a release can't happen until all
> > new APIs are properly documented?  I think this would be a good policy.
> >

> Nah, leads to infinite release delay. If there's a requirement it should
> be phrased that we drop the API if it's not documented.
> (Or don't commit it as Owen says.)
>
> Havoc

I would just like to add my 2 cents: I think this is a WONDERFUL
requirement. Documentation is a weak spot for new coders, and a healthy
project needs to encourage new blood at every opportunity!

I would go even one step further: Any major design changes should come
with a brief (words<500) document describing rationale for the change
and for the new design. The most important criterion for this document
would be that it is written not for the current experts, but for those
who have minimal expertise with GTK+, or similar frameworks.

These documents would then be merged into a larger design document which
would go a long way to supply new hackers with the Why,Who,How as well
as the What. Also this would allow non-programmers to briefly peek into
the design of their favourite software, and thus enable them to
contribute to GTK in plain english.

What do you all think?

Cheers,
Ryan