Re: A few problems with GtkFileChooser

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 09:06, iain wrote:
> I've been trying out the file chooser in my program and have come
> against a few issues
>
> 1: A lot of spewage happens.
>
> > (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-WARNING **: gtksettings.c:556: an rc-data
> > property "gtk-toolbar-style" already exists
>
> > (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-WARNING **: gtksettings.c:556: an rc-data
> > property "gtk-toolbar-icon-size" already exists
>
> Dunno what thats about :)

Do you have a cut-and-paste of EggToolbar in your application
or something? I can't really figure out why you would get this.

> > (lt-marlin:28795): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from
> > `GtkFileChooserDefault' to `GtkWindow'
> >
> > (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmessagedialog.c: line
> > 307 (gtk_message_dialog_new): assertion `parent == NULL ||
> > GTK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
> >
> > (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkdialog.c: line 943
> > (gtk_dialog_run): assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed
> >
> > (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1872
> > (gtk_widget_destroy): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> This seems to come from the bookmarks section of the widget. It tries to
> add /home/iain/Desktop to the bookmarks but can't find that directory
> (because it doesn't exist) and then it tries to display an error message
> about it. This fails because the filechooserwidget hasn't been added to
> the dialog yet and so the warnings are dumped.

File a bug; it's just a bug.

> I would also say that having this error box (saying "I can't add
> bookmark /home/iain/Desktop") would be extremely annoying to have to
> deal with every time.
>
> 2: gtk_file_chooser_set_current_path doesn't seem to do anything.

Hmm, is this with current CVS? I thought this should be fixed now.
(The bookmark list was getting the focus, which selected the first item,
and thus always changed to the homedir when the widget was mapped.)

> 3: Moving the Up directory button alongside the filter option menu might
> be a nice enhancement, cos the way it stands at the moment, there's a
> lot of unused whitespace.

I think the Up button there was just a quick hack that federico threw
in because I told him that nobody was going to test the filechooser out
if there was no way to go up. I'm not sure what the long-term plan is -
whether the toolbar will get moved, whether more stuff will get added
to it, etc.

> 5: It doesn't seem to come with a decent default size. When the dialog
> is opened and hasn't had a size set manually, the file list on the right
> is completely hidden.

This is a really hard one :-(   I think largely the solution is to have:

 - A default remembered file selector size remembered across all apps
 - The possibility for an app to get it's file selector size
   remembered separately (because once you add previews, extra widgets,
   etc, the default remembered size may well not apply.)

I don't know where in the stack that remembering should be going on.
Should we be setting an appropriate class/role to allow the window
manager to remember things? Doing it all ourselves?