A few problems with GtkFileChooser

I've been trying out the file chooser in my program and have come
against a few issues

1: A lot of spewage happens.

> (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-WARNING **: gtksettings.c:556: an rc-data
> property "gtk-toolbar-style" already exists

> (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-WARNING **: gtksettings.c:556: an rc-data
> property "gtk-toolbar-icon-size" already exists

Dunno what thats about :)

> (lt-marlin:28795): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from
> `GtkFileChooserDefault' to `GtkWindow'
>
> (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmessagedialog.c: line
> 307 (gtk_message_dialog_new): assertion `parent == NULL ||
> GTK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
>
> (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkdialog.c: line 943
> (gtk_dialog_run): assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed
>
> (lt-marlin:28795): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1872
> (gtk_widget_destroy): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

This seems to come from the bookmarks section of the widget. It tries to
add /home/iain/Desktop to the bookmarks but can't find that directory
(because it doesn't exist) and then it tries to display an error message
about it. This fails because the filechooserwidget hasn't been added to
the dialog yet and so the warnings are dumped.

I would also say that having this error box (saying "I can't add
bookmark /home/iain/Desktop") would be extremely annoying to have to
deal with every time.

2: gtk_file_chooser_set_current_path doesn't seem to do anything.
3: Moving the Up directory button alongside the filter option menu might
be a nice enhancement, cos the way it stands at the moment, there's a
lot of unused whitespace.
4: When you select a filter, say "All PNGs" all the directories
disappear too.
5: It doesn't seem to come with a decent default size. When the dialog
is opened and hasn't had a size set manually, the file list on the right
is completely hidden.

I hope some of these were constructive comments. As it is, I do think
this file selector is a nice improvement over the old one.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"