Re: About dialog api

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
> > > No, it misses the most important point:
> > > license. People do not care who copyright
> > > belongs to, but they *do* care about
> > > what they may or may not do with
> > > software.
> >
> > I agree we should have a license statement in the std. about dialog.
> >
> > I'd hate to see the whole GPL as an inline string though. So just
> > "This application is free software see COPYING" is probably what's
> > wanted.
>
> That would be bad, because COPYING may not even be on user's computer,
> and if it is there... which COPYING file does it mean?

Well, as per GPL all GPL binary packagers have to make sure that they give
the users a copy of the licence. So it not being on the users system
really isn't an option. What you could do is add a configure option as to
where the packager put a shared copy of the GPL licence and then cho that
out. You willof cousrse need as imilar one for LGPL ...

> I guess this (copied from gdb with minor edits) would be okay:
>
> This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public
> License, and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of
> it under certain conditions.  There is absolutely no warranty for this
> program.
>
> That makes it clear it is GPL, gives very basic info what it is about,
> and declares no warranty (which might be important, I'm not a lawyer).
>
> 								Pavel
> --
> When do you have a heart between your knees?
> [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

	Sander

	Humans love to categorize and organize things. We break up time into
	hours, days and years. Everything has to have a name, a history, an
	understanding of it's origins and must be indexed somewhere on Google.