Re: en_US.po

Noah Levitt <nlevitt columbia edu> writes:

> I've written an en_US.po for gtk+. The main differences from
> the untranslated strings are curly quotes and hyphens and
> stuff like that.

Check out en quot po that comes with gettext; it's machine generated.

> For packages with en_US.po, maybe it would make sense to mv
> en_GB.po en.po, so that commonwealth folks have an easier
> time getting their commonwealth spellings.

There is no need for such an action.  People using glibc can setup a
language cascade (also known as a fallback mechanism) via the LANGUAGE
environment variable:

    LANGUAGE="en_GB:en_US"

gettext will first try the british and then the US american catalog (and
then the "en" catalog, if available).  In other language contexts
(portuguese, spanish) this feature has some relevance.

--
ke suse de (work) / keichwa gmx net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o