Re: en_US.po

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 16:41:04 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The /* console string */ comment bothers me a some
> especially for these strings, which are _not_
> exclusively console strings. Perhaps we should just hold
> off on this thing until we can make the GLib message
> functions handle nice fallbacks for quotes, em/en dashes.

All right. I hold off.

> > For packages with en_US.po, maybe it would make sense to mv
> > en_GB.po en.po, so that commonwealth folks have an easier
> > time getting their commonwealth spellings.
>
> Then we'll have to override commonwealth strings back the
> other way in en_US.po... if we want inheritance, it needs to
> go the other way, right?

Hmm, I guess. I was originally going to propose calling it
en.po. An alternative would be to fill in even the
translations that are identical to the msgid's. This would
also improve the accuracy of statistics. I think it's what
en_GB has decided to do, for the sake of the statistics.

> > #: gtk/gtkcolorsel.c:1876
> > msgid "Transparency of the currently-selected color."
> > msgstr "Transparency of the currently selected color."
>
> Ugh, please don't do stuff like this. Even if this change
> is correct (it's debatable to me) it needs to go in the
> base translation.

(must defend self) My policy was to replace HYPHEN-MINUS
with HYPHEN where appropriate, but when I saw that string I
couldn't bring myself to leave a hyphen there at all. I
won't do it again. :-)

Noah