Re: GtkTreeView column-chooser dialog

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 22:48, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:37:47PM -0500, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > Most apps where you have a fair amount of information that you might or
> > might not want to see.  Besides the obvious example of the mail client,
> > a music player or an addressbook application will want to have this
> > feature.  Also Nautilus could allow reordering of the columns in the
> > list view.
>
> By "what apps would use this" I don't mean what apps would want column
> reordering, I mean what apps would use this particular dialog as the
> UI for it.

Sorry, I think I got a bit confused because you were talking about this
specific dialog and I was thinking more in abstract.

Anyways, I think we don't need this complex dialog; I wouldn't like it
in my own apps.  It's a bit of a cumbersome UI.

If a right-click menu is necessary for easier access, I'd rather have
something simple like:

        Resize Column
        Move Column
        Select Columns ...

The latter could either pop up a column chooser dialog (just to select
the visible columns), or even a submenu with the list of available
columns.

GTK+ could maybe provide the widget to pick the columns (i.e. just a
checklist with optional instant apply), but I don't think it really
needs anything else UI-wise.

On the other hand, it's important to have a way to save and restore the
layout of the TreeView.

-- Ettore