Re: About dialog API

> <snip>

> This widget is not the first that has a visual policy for the entire
> window-- GtkMessageDialog was similarly a composite widget.  In the
> past, GTK had very little visual policy (I suppose you could argue the
> combobox / spin button were), and currently the dialog button layout and
> stock icons are consistent across GTK applications.  I recognize that
> consistency is a good goal, but I agree that this seems like a slippery
> slope of sorts towards libgnomeui.

I thought it was a long term plan to totally do away with libgnomeui ?
Or am I mistaken ?

My personal opinion is that a modern GUI tolkit should provide all the
standard dialogs and other composite windows required to create a
reasonably complex application. This includes (among others):
	a) Message boxes
	b) An application window (a.l.a GnomeApp)
	c) A file selector
	d) An about box
	e) A decent menu/toolbar system with docking, shortcuts, stock items,
etc.
	f) A reasonable canvas
	g) Good tree and list views

This:
	a) Ensures L&F consistency
	b) Reduces programmer load
	c) Improves chances of being used for cross-platform development.

> On the other hand, a GtkContainer-derived widget for a main window
> contents could be very useful (it could get the bevels right between
> menu, toolbar, content, and status bar) and would also be a visual
> policy of sorts.

Hopefully, once GdlDock is in libegg, we can extend it to provide
GnomeApp like functionality, with toolbar/menubar docking and other
stuff ?