Re: About dialog API

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:04:33PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:39:19AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > about dialogs have tradionally been an area where application
> > developers try create something that is unique and fun to look at.
> > [...]
> > If the goal is to integrate libgnomeui into GTK+, we should consider
> > to split GTK+ into a basic toolkit library and another one that
> > provides composites widgets such as the one you propose here.
>
> My view is that the basic goal is to have all the GUI/widget features
> in GTK+ to easily write an app that is full-featured and correctly
> consistent/integrated with a given desktop environment (whether it's
> GNOME, KDE, or Windows).

This widget is not the first that has a visual policy for the entire
window-- GtkMessageDialog was similarly a composite widget.  In the
past, GTK had very little visual policy (I suppose you could argue the
combobox / spin button were), and currently the dialog button layout and
stock icons are consistent across GTK applications.  I recognize that
consistency is a good goal, but I agree that this seems like a slippery
slope of sorts towards libgnomeui.

On the other hand, a GtkContainer-derived widget for a main window
contents could be very useful (it could get the bevels right between
menu, toolbar, content, and status bar) and would also be a visual
policy of sorts.

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu