Re: GnomeDateEdit replacement

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 13:49, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Sebastian Rittau <srittau jroger in-berlin de> writes:
>
> > Rationale
> > =========
> >
> > I've got a beef with GnomeDateEdit. Actually not a beef, but a whole
> > cattle-herd. I will go into detail later. To overcome my problems with
> > GnomeDateEdit, I have to reimplement the widget for my GNOME 2 port
> > (basically a reimplementation) of GNOME-PIM. But since I hate code
> > reduplication, I'm offering to discuss a reimplementation of
> > GnomeDateEdit in either libgnomeui or in gtk+ (where it does belong,
> > IMO).
>
> I've been planning a rewrite of GnomeDateEdit for a while.  I've been
> driven crazy by it's limitations.  The big feature I want is the ability
> to have 'unknown' fields.  For example, I'd like to be able to just
> specify 'January, 1932, or even just '1488'.

Food for thought: hot keys for manipulating the date.

GnuCash uses a customized version of GnomeDateEdit
that accepts hot keys for incrementing/decrementing
the day, month, year, etc, plus keys for start of month,
end-of-month, etc. If your application requires lots of date
entry, hot keys really cut down on your data entry time (and
prevent you from having to switch to the mouse for those who
prefer the keyboard).

dave