Building GTK+ 2 on Win32 Woes

Ross Burton writes:
 > I'm starting at the beginning -- pkg-config.  If I type "./configure"
 > configure decides that I am not Win32, MinGW or Cygwin despite the fact
 > that I am blatantly typing into a Windows 2000 terminal with Cygwin and
 > MinGW installed.

Did you try passing a --host switch to the configure script?

I just noticed that there is a problem in that pkgconfig's Makefile.am
sets pkg_config_CFLAGS and pkg_config_LDFLAGS vars (on Win32), but
automake 1.4-p5 used when generating the Makefile.in in the pkgconfig
tarball doesn't notice those. I use automake-1.5a myself, and it
does. So, you have to manually add those make vars to the compiler
invokations.

 > There is a readme inside pkg-config which says there
 > are hand-crafted makefiles for Windows but I cannot find them!

This refers to the makefile.mingw and makefile.msc files in the GLib
sources.

 > Is there an install guide for installing gtk+ 2.0.2 on Win32 using
 > MinGW?  If not I'll probably write one if I manage to get Hello World
 > working...

Not really any step-by-step guide. One is sorely needed.

--tml