Re: Gnome/Gtk and thread safety

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:
> > Oh my goodness, using global variables or function-scope statics
> > concurrently from multiple threads without locking is not threadsafe?
> > Have you published a paper on this new discovery yet? :-)
> >

> Well, people don't want to use explicit locks dude. ;-)

Yes, but this problem is not really specific to Gtk+. You can't use
global variables without a mutex for the variable, period; the
`gtk_widget_new' call is a red herring. Anyone who wants to use
threads understands basic concepts like that, I think, and I don't
believe anyone expects Gtk+ to lock their global variables for them.

 - Maciej