Re: glib outstanding stuff

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:38:30AM +0200, Jonas Bulow wrote:
> Joel Becker wrote:
> >
> >         readline() fails utterly on a file that isn't line oriented.
> > mmap() changes the file contents.
> >         Say I have a non-huge data file.  I want to do operations on the
> > data and get a munged result.  I don't want to affect the actual file
> > contents, so mmap() is out.
>
> How about using MAP_PRIVATE and/or PROT_READ in the mmap call? Is that
> not portable?

mmap() doesn't exist on BeOS, and there really is no equivalent.  So no,
it's not portable.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking