Re: 1.2 theme properties / 2.0 default theme

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> I don't want the default to be that pixmap heavy or in fact, that
> non-bland.

I imagine an engine version of this theme would do more efficient
rendering of the gradients.

> The default theme needs to be:
>
>  - Lightweight enough to work well over networks
>  - Plain enough to stick around for years and not get tiresome
>  - Somewhat distinctive (a GTK+ look), yet comfortable for people
>    coming from other environments.
>  - Attract`ive
>
> A tall order...

I think the current Gtk+ default may be a bit too much on the plain
side. The MacOS "platinum" look is definitely a bit more flashy and
seems to have withstood the test of time (OTOH the "aqua" look is
flashy to the point of unusability).

 - Maciej