TODO: Improve Submenu Navigation

I'm interested in volunteering to work on the "Improve Submenu
Navigation" TODO item.

I'm a very competent programmer with absolutely no experience developing
for Linux.  I've been rooting around a bit in the source as well as
considering what the new behavior should be.  I've put together a web
site to describe what I'm thinking and planning.  (Since this is my
first Linux/GTK/GNOME project, I've developed a test app to hone my
skills a bit and to test out my ideas once I start changing the menu
code.)

Please check out
  http://www.kimmccall.com/navigation/index.html
and give me any feedback you think I need.

Do I just continue developing, or is there some kind of
assignment/delegation process?  Is there any menu guru I should run
ideas past to avoid getting too far off track?

Thanks,
Kim McCall