Issue using the "gtk_widget_get_allocated_height" instruction

Dear all, thanks for reading this,
I recently updated GTK from 3.22.24 to 3.22.30 (Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 update), doing so something changed in behaviour of the program I am working on (C code) at runtime.

In my program I create a GtkMenuBar widget, using the code:

GtkWidget * win = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
GtkWidget * gl_vbox =  gtk_box_new (GTK_ORIENTATION_VERTICAL, 0);
gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (win), gl_vbox);
GtkWidget * menu_bar = gtk_menu_bar_new ();
gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (gl_box), menu_bar, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
GtkWidget * gl_area = gtk_gl_area_new ();
gtk_widget_set_size_request (gl_area, 100, 100);
gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (gl_box), gl_area, FALSE, FALSE, 0);

Before my update I could get the height of the menu bar after drawing using:

int size = gtk_widget_get_allocated_height (menu_bar);

After my update the value of size is always 1, before the update it was around 15, obviously this new 1 value is messing with my program, not to mention that it is not what I see on the my computer screen, could anyone explain to me what to do the get the proper size of the GtkMenuBar ? (the gtk_widget_get_size_request is useless).

Thanks for your help in the matter.

Best regards.

Sébastien Le Roux

Dr. Sébastien Le Roux
Ingénieur de Recherche CNRS
Institut de Physique et Chimie des Matériaux de Strasbourg
Département des Matériaux Organiques
23, rue du Loess
BP 43
F-67034 Strasbourg Cedex 2, France
E-mail: sebastien leroux ipcms unistra fr
Webpage: http://www-ipcms.u-strasbg.fr/spip.php?article1771
RINGS project: http://rings-code.sourceforge.net/
ISAACS project: http://isaacs.sourceforge.net/
Fax:   +33 3 88 10 72 46