Which icon for GTK_STOCK_EDIT?

Stock items are deprecated and the documentation mostly shows which
named icon to use instead. Such information is missing for
GTK_STOCK_EDIT (although I assume it is missing for a good reason).
Now, I want to use an "edit" icon. Which one should I use? "gtk-edit"
seems to work, but probably not everywhere. Some themes have an "edit"
icon, but not all. I also thought about "accessories-text-editor" which
is at least a standard freedesktop icon and fits to some degree. Maybe
someone here has faced the same decision and give me a hint?

Kind regards