Re: win32 (via Wine): 'image-missing' not present in theme Adwaita

On 4 March 2017 at 21:01, Norbert de Jonge <mail norbertdejonge nl> wrote:

I'm running my ported GTK+ application via Wine, and it keeps
throwing:
-----
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'image-missing' for stock:
Icon 'image-missing' not present in theme Adwaita
-----

How can I get rid of this?

I've already tried adding
usr/share/icons/Adwaita/.../status/image-missing.png
and
usr/share/icons/gnome/.../status/image-missing.png
to the program's directory, but that doesn't fix it.
=====

I've since gotten an insightful reply from Tilo, and someone
also e-mailed me off-list with some pointers.

I would still like to find a way to get rid of these Adwaita-related
warnings.

These warnings usually imply a missing updated cache, or a broken installation.

Here are download links of the GPL3+ program in question:
http://www.popot.org/other_useful_tools.php?tool=poplaun
The page has both the Windows and GNU/Linux packages.

You should point at a source code repository. Downloading a tarball of
your program is not really conducive of people doing code reviews on
your projects.

I have tried copying my GNU/Linux's /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/* content
to the Windows port's <root>/share/icons/Adwaita/

You need to generate the icon cache on the target machine.

Note that I don't want to move the executable (poplaun.exe) into a bin/
directory. I want to keep it in the <root>, in the top level.

Why? Are you trying to complicate your life?

You should have a similar file system layout on Windows and on Linux.

Also, even if copying all Adwaita icons somewhere would have worked,
surely there must be a solution that doesn't require including 42MB
into the package, and still have it work out of the box - with the
(application-exit and help-about) icons...

Icons are assets. If you're using them, you need to ship them. Either
you don't use them, or you identify the ones you use and only ship
those in your installer.

Stock icons used to be shipped by GTK+; at least now you get to
control which assets you ship.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--