Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Compiling for Windows [Was: argv revisited]

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Andrew Robinson <arobinson18 cox net>
wrote:

The website, https://github.com/wingtk/gtk-win32, looks really good at
first
glance, until you read the fine print where it says, "Any version of VS
apart
from 2013 is not supported". What if I don't have VS 2013, what then? You
can't download it from Microsoft's website although you can buy it for
$400+
from Amazon.

MSVC Community Edition if free (free as in beer, not free software) and
works just fine.

Mingw doesn't have any binaries for GTK+, it is a compiler and you have to
download 27 sub-projects that the GTK+ toolkit is comprised of, then
compile
them all with the (hopefully) proper command line switches to get
binaries. It
is a laborious and a very, very poorly documented process. Again, no thank
you.

Not really. It is a matter of running a couple of commands and you fetch
the compiled binaries for gtk.
This old blog post is still valid
https://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/2014/08/01/how-to-build-your-gtk-application-on-windows/

I have never seen a cross-compiled version of Fedora. Is it related to the
mythical Chimera?

Not sure because I do not do cross compiling (we use both the above methods
in production to distribute windows applications). As far as I know it is
just a matter of "dnf installl gtk3-mingw64" or something similar.

Paolo