Re: Compiling for Windows [Was: argv revisited]

On 05/03/2016 06:12 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On 2016-05-03 16:57, Florian Pelz wrote:
I'd like to have one standard GTK+ installer for the GTK+ DLLs etc. that
can be downloaded and installed from other installers, so there is just
one GTK+ installed on Windows instead of one copy of perhaps different
versions of GTK+ for each application.

That's been a longstanding desire of many people. The other side of the
argument of course is that all the applications have to be compatible
with that particular version of the libraries, which has sometimes
proven to be problematic even when the libraries ship with Windows.
Expecting every application to be updated every time there is a library
update is not realistic. It's not like a linux distro where the distro
can update and recompile all the dependencies itself.

That's a good argument, but those who don't want to risk breakage due to
incompatibilities could still bundle it the old-fashioned way. Of
course, maybe it's too much effort and most people prefer stability on
Windows. I'm not going to take the time, so thank you for explaining the
reasons.