Multiple colors in vte

Hi list,
sorry if this question is redundant, I haven't found any answers after searching yet.

Is there a way to set multiple colors in a vte programatically?
I can see how you can set the color for the whole text and I understand that there are color-codes for bash
but since I want to use VTE for a very custom terminal, I need to set multiple colors programatically. Right
now I'm using a TextView to achieve this but it seems to be too slow when successively updating large parts
of the screen.

Thanks in advance fpr any hint.

Gilzad