Re: Getting a menubar to work under Ubuntu 14.10?

Oops -- I left out an important detail. The desktop file is a requirement if you use Unity, which is becoming more and more closely bound to freedesktop.org standards (that's where the desktop file spec comes from). I've bee told that the app menu works without the desktop file if you use a desktop other than Unity.