Re: Getting a menubar to work under Ubuntu 14.10?

Quoting from the link you mentioned: "As part of the initial setup of our application, we also create an icon and a desktop file."

I had a similar problem using gtkmm on 14.10, and I discovered that the part about the desktop file is not just a suggestion, it's a requirement.