Getting a menubar to work under Ubuntu 14.10?

I cannot figure out how to set up a menubar through gtk_application_set_menubar(), or an application menu through gtk_application_set_app_menu, and get it to work in Ubuntu 14.10. I had it working in the past, but I suspect something has changed in either GTK+ 3.0 or Ubuntu, recently. To make sure the problem is not in my code, I downloaded and built the example application https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/ch01s05.html, which doesn't give me an application menu, either.

Did anyone out there get this working, recently?

Thanks,
Izak

--
Grinnikend door het leven...