Re: final gtk+maverick battles

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014, Bric wrote:

On 02/14/2014 02:54 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Bric <bric flight us> wrote:
GTK on MacOSX requires a few dependencies to build and those script
download them all and build them with clang default compiler without too
many issues.

https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show//Projects/GTK+/OSX/Building

My old system was, indeed, trashed. An accidental re-boot proved that it wasn't going into GUI mode anymore. Thus, I upgraded, and am now on Ubuntu 12.

Nonetheless, I run ./configure in gtk+ git, and I am still getting unmet dependencies [...]

That should not be surprising. Why do you need the current ("unstable") development version of gtk+ rather than just the latest stable release (at present, 3.10.7)?

In the unstable development versions (with odd minor version numbers, such as 3.11) you have no guarantee of API or ABI stability, and you'll likely find that unstable gtk+ depends on unstable glib, pango, atk and so on.

Taking this path is quite likely to bork your system again, in the sense that the GUI supplied with *buntu will stop working since it's built against a potentially incompatible gtk stack.

Allin Cottrell