Re: final gtk+maverick battles

On 02/13/2014 03:37 PM, Bric wrote:
thought I'd move out to a new thread, since we are past the Pango issue

in "reckless abandonment" (sliding irrevocably down the slope of system trashing) I manually moved *glib* files and directories from under /usr/local/lib, to a hiding place, then quickly re-installed ("make install") glib from git.

my git gtk+ continued to give me the nasty 2.39.4 vs. 2.39.5 discrepancy error. Then I ./autogen.sh'ed it again... and, lo and behold, the ./autogen.sh cleared its misunderstanding of what my glib version was (this, in conjunction with the above deletions, in /usr/local/lib, I presume)

So, my gtk+ git finally ./configure'd. But then, of course, it had to snag with this:

            http://www.flight.us//misc/gtk_compile_error1.txt

thanks again!!

I decided to upgrade my gcc (tarball 4.8.2). Didn't realize what a monster of a job that is! It's been compiling for the last 6 hours, on my core 2 duo. Taking up gigabytes of space!

Meanwhile, back to the trashing. It is apparently already severe. My glib thing, or whatever. Thanks for the heads up about that.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated, as it may save me from total catastrophe. For instance, my system just auto-mounted an external drive, without a problem, apparently. But now when I issue umount manually, I get:

/sbin/umount.udisks: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_thread_ref

Should I recompile some vital system utilities, against my new, upgraded libs ??

Before shutting down, that is. What other vital should I test? What might depend on the glib, etc.?

I realize this is beyond gtk+ but you guys seem to know this stuff a lot more than I.

Also, a note about outages. I am guessing there are widespread outages throughout the U.S., so, some list members are not participating because the can't... (that's already been confirmed on some other lists)

thanks.