Re: "Can't link to Pango"

On 02/13/2014 01:45 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
hi;

On 13 February 2014 18:37, Bric <bric flight us> wrote:

Is this because the "git" version doesn't definitively dominate all the
version markers when it installs, and leaves behind the previously installed
versions ??  (git gtk+ is picking up the previous "glib-2.39.4", somehow,
the one compiled from release tarball.)
you most likely have .la files lying around.

why are you targeting such an old platform?

Well... i guess it all started with the advent of "unity", in Ubuntu 11.
[cut]

my question was more: are you planning on developing GTK/GNOME apps
while retaining your system copy, or are you literally trashing your
system by installing newer versions on top of your running system?

Well, you're the first one to definitely characterize this as "trashing my system"... but I've been suspecting that that's what it is.

I'd like to note that i have JUST NOW ( a couple of days ago) embarked on this system trashing, because of the ambition to get the newest gtk+. I don't even fully understand the extent of the damage, but am starting to feel how quickly it comes.

No, I am not ready for serious gtk+ development, although that's an enticing idea (my angle [t]here would be Perl). At the moment I need gtk+ as a dependency. So... yes, you greatly worry me with this ominous warning. I haven't even rebooted since the trashing began (!!)... perhaps I'll be rebooting into a blinking cursor (at best) or kernel panic ... ;-)) :-((

Meanwhile, I really really appreciate all the help here. I would have never guessed to edit my /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/pangocairo.pc (that worked like a charm, apparently).

-----------------------

left-over *.la files? Did I forget an "--enable-shared" somewhere ??? This is the classic case of "knowing just enough to be dangerous..." In my defense, however, I have abstained from system trashing, as someone dated it here, for FOUR YEARS. :-))

if you're just looking at a development environment, then you should
probably be cloning jhbuild from git, and creating a separate
environment, in a separate directory.

otherwise, I'd strongly suggest you just learn to let go. there are
other distributions, even Debian-based, that are shipping with a
decent set of dependencies. learning how to make packages will lead
you to maintain a Ubuntu fork anyway, and I can assure you:
maintaining a distribution by yourself is not in any way, shape, or
form "fun".

ciao,
  Emmanuele.