Re: "Can't link to Pango"

On 02/13/2014 01:45 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
hi;

On 13 February 2014 18:37, Bric <bric flight us> wrote:

Is this because the "git" version doesn't definitively dominate all the
version markers when it installs, and leaves behind the previously installed
versions ??  (git gtk+ is picking up the previous "glib-2.39.4", somehow,
the one compiled from release tarball.)
you most likely have .la files lying around.

why are you targeting such an old platform?

Well... i guess it all started with the advent of "unity", in Ubuntu 11.
[cut]

my question was more: are you planning on developing GTK/GNOME apps
while retaining your system copy, or are you literally trashing your
system by installing newer versions on top of your running system?

[second attempt to post this... earlier post isn't showing up for some reason]

Well, you're the first one to definitively characterize this as "trashing my system"... but I've been suspecting that that's what it is.

I'd like to note that i have JUST NOW ( a couple of days ago) embarked on this system trashing, because of the ambition to get the newest gtk+. I don't even fully understand the extent of the damage, but am starting to feel how quickly it comes.

No, I am not ready for serious gtk+ development, although that's an enticing idea (my angle [t]here would be Perl). At the moment I need gtk+ as a dependency. So... yes, you greatly worry me with this ominous warning. I haven't even rebooted since the trashing began (!!)... perhaps I'll be rebooting into a blinking cursor (at best) or kernel panic ... ;-)) :-((

Meanwhile, I really really appreciate all the help here. I would have never guessed to edit my /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/pangocairo.pc (that worked like a charm, apparently).

-----------------------

left-over *.la files? Did I forget an "--enable-shared" somewhere ??? This is the classic case of "knowing just enough to be dangerous..." In my defense, however, I have abstained from system trashing, as someone dated it here, for FOUR YEARS. :-))

if you're just looking at a development environment, then you should
probably be cloning jhbuild from git, and creating a separate
environment, in a separate directory.

otherwise, I'd strongly suggest you just learn to let go. there are
other distributions, even Debian-based, that are shipping with a
decent set of dependencies. learning how to make packages will lead
you to maintain a Ubuntu fork anyway, and I can assure you:
maintaining a distribution by yourself is not in any way, shape, or
form "fun".

ciao,
  Emmanuele.