Re: How to start a filemanager in Gtk2 "the proper way"

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
to be fair, xdg-utils *should* be installed by default in any new
installation *and* when upgrading; I'd consider it a bug in the Debian
update process if it didn't. that's the whole point of the xdg-utils
tools, really: provide a stable API for cross-desktop operations.

Hmm. I just checked a few more Debian systems, and 'aptitude why
xdg-utils' says it's installed because google-chrome-stable depends on
it. Might mean that I've been installing minimalist systems here, and
a "more full" Debian install would include it. In any case, it's
absolutely possible for xdg-open to NOT exist on the target system, so
for the OP, it's a matter of either try lots of things (as I have in
my code - it's not compiled, so there's no autoconf, and it's not
(currently) packaged, so I can't depend on other packages), or your
other two suggestions.

As to the original question, though, it's looking clear that #if is
the way to do it.

ChrisA