Re: How to start a filemanager in Gtk2 "the proper way"

hi;

you can (should, really) specify it as a dependency for your
application if you package it. it should also be checked through the
build system, given that it's a dependency — e.g. through
AC_CHECK_PROG in a configure.ac.

to be fair, xdg-utils *should* be installed by default in any new
installation *and* when upgrading; I'd consider it a bug in the Debian
update process if it didn't. that's the whole point of the xdg-utils
tools, really: provide a stable API for cross-desktop operations.

otherwise, I could have just said: "use g_spawn_* with the nautilus
process, and if you don't have nautilus installed then though".

ciao,
 Emmanuele.