 From: Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>
To: David Buchan <pdbuchan yahoo com>
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list list <gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: Can I install both GTK+2 and GTK+3?

hi;

yes, you most definitely can have gtk 2.x and gtk 3.x installed on the
same machine, without them interfering with each other. the shared
libraries and ancillary files are all parallel installable.

what you cannot do is using gtk 2.x *and* gtk 3.x at the same time, in
the same process.

if you want to write your application to support both gtk 2.x and 3.x,
you can do that only by compiling once against gtk 2.x and again
against gtk 3.x — i.e. you will need two binaries.

targeting gtk 2.x is not a good idea, though, unless you're migrating
from 2.x to 3.x and you want to have a "grace period" for your users
to switch. gtk 3.x is already 2.5 years old, and will be 3 years old
when 3.10 is released this September.

ciao,
Emmanuele.