Re: GTK+3 fonts

Thanks for all the followup, Liam & Michael!

By default I believe the mac changes antialiasing and hinting strategies
(is this 16pt or 16px?)

I'm using the simple Cairo text drawing functions here. Size is being set as Cairo user space units, which should be just pixels as I'm using the unmodified coordinate space.

Thanks to both of you for pointing out all of the config stuff in /etc/fonts (/opt/local/etc/fonts on MacOS with MacPorts). I believe I have
found the config file there which is aliasing Sans to the Vera font.
In 60-latin.conf:

<alias>
                <family>sans-serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
                        <family>DejaVu Sans</family>

Looks like a list of fonts that are aliased as substitutes for sans-serif, with Vera at the top of the list. I suspect if I re-ordered the list I could get things the way I wanted. I'm thinking that my better strategy at this point is to just #ifdef my app code to specifically request DejaVu Sans on the Mac, rather than having to tweak these fontconfig files on each Mac in addition to hand-installing DejaVu.

Anyway, you guys have given me plenty of things to look into, thanks very much!

Roger