Re: GTK+3 fonts

Hi all,

OK, I've made some progress based on everyone's suggestions, and focused my questions a bit more, I think.

Copying the Deja*.ttf files into /opt/X11/share/fonts/TTF *did* make a difference, and they are now seen by my apps, but this fact was momentarily obscured by one of my remaining problems, namely that when I downsize my font display to smaller sizes (anything 16 or below), the font weight appears to make a dramatic shift from Book to ExtraLight. This happens on the Mac but not on CentOS. Anyone know why this is happening and if there is a way to prevent it?

Second, at some point during my fiddling around this morning, the following files magically appeared in /opt/X11/share/fonts/TTF:

% ls -l fo*
120 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  57364 Oct 21 06:52 fonts.dir
  8 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   1962 Oct 21 06:51 fonts.list
120 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  57364 Oct 21 06:51 fonts.scale

I don't believe I did anything other than copy some ttf files into this directory and run fc-match and fc-list a few times. Does anyone know how these get created, and is their presence critical to anything, particularly any kind of font lookup procedure? It's quite possible that they were there before I started tweaking things, but their modification times have clearly been updated, and the fonts.list file now contains references to the new DejaVuSans fonts.

Finally, I did some experimenting with removing ttf files from /opt/X11/share/fonts/TTF. I found that if I got rid of the Vera*ttf files, then this happened:

% fc-match Sans
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

And if I put them back, things are restored as before:

% fc-match Sans
Vera.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Roman"

Can anyone explain how this works? Is there some complicated font parameter examination taking place here, or is it as simple, at least in some cases, as a single defined fallback font for everything when a specified font cannot be located? Curiously, this test returns the same fallback font:

% fc-match yuk-yuk
Vera.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Roman"

I suppose what I would like to do on my Mac is have it use DejaVu Sans to satisfy a Sans request (because DejaVu has the UTF-8 characters I need and Vera does not), but without having to delete the Vera fonts from my system, which might break God-knows-what-all. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Roger