Re: GTK+3 fonts

Hi Liam,

Thanks for explaining the Sans alias. I was wondering about that, as looking around on my CentOS 6 system I was able to find most of the Gnome fonts in /usr/share/fonts (including the DejaVu fonts), but was not able to find the Sans font anywhere. Playing around with the gnome-terminal profiles font selection dialog, it appears that Sans is an alias for DejaVu Sans Book.

Digging a little deeper, I am noticing a number of bewildering differences between my CentOS 6 and Mac systems with regard to this font problem, however, and it's not at all clear why the differences exist, partly because (i) my CentOS system is basically a Gnome 2 environment to which I have added GTK+3 and related (i.e., up-to-date glib, cairo, etc.) libraries, and (ii) although I don't think that my Mac is similarly polluted with any Gnome 2 packages (as I only installed the MacPorts gtk3 atop the base MacOS), it probably does not have anywhere close to a full set of Gnome fonts of any vintage.

I have a test drawing program (that calls the Cairo font selection and text drawing routines) which allows me to specify a font and fontsize and some arbitrary text. On CentOS, when I use DejaVu Sans and gradually decrement the size from about 24 down to 14, for instance, the rendered text all looks basically the same, just smaller as one would expect. Running the same test code on the Mac, however, when I move from 17 to 16 using DejaVu Sans, the text actually changes markedly in appearance to something that looks more like DejaVu Sans ExtraLight at the smaller size. Also, a certain UTF-8 character ("\342\206\220", a left arrow) that renders just fine on CentOS with DejaVu Sans does not render at all on Mac OS, even at the larger font sizes which look more similar to the CentOS DejaVu Sans. (This character instead renders as a small boxed rectangle around a blank space, which I interpret to mean that the font does not support that particular UTF-8 value.)

Finally, I can't seem to locate the Gnome fonts anywhere on my Mac, although when I use my test program to draw with certain fonts (Courier 10 Pitch, Nimbus Mono L) cairo seems to find something reasonable. Under CentOS they are in /usr/share/fonts (although this is probably their Gnome 2 location, I have no idea where a full Gnome 3 installation would put them). On my Mac, however, I did a find (Unix shell command) search and the only DejaVu files I could locate were in /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/basis-link/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans.ttf which seem to be part of the OpenOffice package and not part of any installed Gnome fonts.

Any explanation for these mysteries, or any pointers to some decent documentation on Gnome 2/3 font configuration and installation?

Thanks!

Roger