Re: Slow combo box when adding 500 rows

Hello,
I just tested the code on my older 2-cpu-core laptop and it loads
lightning fast (within 0.5 or 2 seconds for both gtk2 and gtk3.). So
it must be some peculiarities with my i7 8-core laptop, or with the
Ubuntu 12.04 itself.

Here are also GtkPerf tests on both these machine.

1) GtkPerf test on this super 8-cpu-core laptop.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz × 8.
RAM: 8GB.
GPU: GeForce GT 525M.
The combo loads very slowly on this.

$ gtkperf
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Fri May 25 15:12:54 2012
GtkEntry - time:  0.03
GtkComboBox - time:  1.47
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  0.97
GtkSpinButton - time:  0.09
GtkProgressBar - time:  0.07
GtkToggleButton - time:  0.65
GtkCheckButton - time:  0.09
GtkRadioButton - time:  0.13
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  0.50
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.05
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  0.52
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  0.62
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  0.21
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.04
 ---
Total time:  5.45
---------------------------------------

2) GtkPerf test on my old 2-core-cpu laptop.
CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU  T2080  @ 1.73GHz.
RAM: 2GB.
GPU: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
The combo appears almost instantly on this laptop. Especially fast on
gtk2, but gtk3 is quick too.

$ gtkperf
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Fri May 25 15:38:56 2012

GtkEntry - time:  0.09
GtkComboBox - time:  3.31
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  2.77
GtkSpinButton - time:  0.30
GtkProgressBar - time:  0.23
GtkToggleButton - time:  1.29
GtkCheckButton - time:  0.23
GtkRadioButton - time:  0.38
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  1.30
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.46
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  0.96
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  1.70
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  0.92
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.19
 ---
Total time: 14.15

These GtkPerf tests do not support the "bad video adapter" theory. The
results are as expected.

I will later test Fedora and maybe LinuxMint 13 on this super machine.
Maybe I kill Ubuntu!

And BTW: The actual application will be a desktop-radio. It loads
station names and urls from a large xml-file
(Ref: http://home.online.no/~osmoma//radio/all_radio_channels.xml ).
The radio stations are <Group>ed by countries, genres of music etc,
and I will let user search among these channel groups. The xml-file
itself loads without delay.

Ok, thanks so far. All well.
Kindly
  Osmo Moma Antero