Arrow speed (tic rate) of scrollbar widgets

Is there a way to set the speed (tic rate, repetition frequency) for
scrollbar widgets when LMB is pressed over the arrow keys?

I have used this C example for testing:

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/stable/x743.html

When pressing the left mouse button on the arrow keys of the scrollbar
widget (the second from top on the right) the slider moves soft but
slow. I know I can use middle or right mouse button for larger steps,
but I want a faster smooth scroll. ( I guess what I need is a higher
event rate, the default seems to be limited to 10 per second.)

Best regards

Stefan Salewski