Re: Porting Between Linux and Windows

On 06/15/2012 07:33 PM, Eric Tavenner wrote:
[snip]

Other people have answered the rest of your e-mail pretty well. I'd recommend C over C++ as well, as explained in the other e-mails.

There are "Hello World" C source files in GTK documentation. Be sure to look them over.

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/2.24/c39.html

I have Code::Blocks 10.05 on both OSes, (Fedora 17 and Windows 7) on a 64
bit machine.  Currently Fedora has GTK 2.24.10 and Windows has 2.22.1.  Is
this going to cause problems with compiling?

Fedora allows you to cross-compile with MinGW and I use Fedora myself to build 32-bit and 64-bit, Linux and Windows executables. I'd highly recommend you compile on one platform. It makes life much easier and you can use GDB on Windows for any debugging needs.

Fedora carries GTK 2.24 for both Linux and Windows and I'd recommend sticking to this version as the Windows build of GTK 2.24 is very stable. Previous GTK versions were very unstable.