Re: Porting Between Linux and Windows

Eric,

I would suggest to go with Gtkmm [1] as it is the official Gnome C++
wrapper. It is pretty mature by now, has plenty of documentation, and
used by a plethora of real world applications. The one I would recommend
to look at and learn from is WorkRave [2]. You can quickly install and
try it out both on Linux and Windows to explore the possibilities.

Although, Gtk/Gtkmm is my personal choice,there are other C++ GUI
toolkits to consider such as Qt [3] and wxWidgets [4] which might be
tighter coupled with C++. Both have superb documentation and books
written to help you started. In his latest book [5], Stroustrup uses
FLTK [6].

Another angle to consider is commercial applicability. Here, along US
Eastern Shore, you would be hard-pressed to find any Linux work that
requires anything by Qt (sadly enough).

By the same token, employers value Java [7] and C#/.NET [8] skills more
than C/C++ these days.

good luck,
--Vlad

[1] http://www.gtkmm.org/en/