Re: Porting Between Linux and Windows

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Eric Tavenner wrote:

I am trying to teach myself C++.  My goal is to be able to write code for
the same app in either Linux or Windows, and compile for both from the same
code.  Is this possible?

Yes, not much of a problem, particular if you cross-compile on Linux.

I have Code::Blocks 10.05 on both OSes, (Fedora 17 and Windows 7) on a 64
bit machine.  Currently Fedora has GTK 2.24.10 and Windows has 2.22.1.  Is
this going to cause problems with compiling?

You'll just have to watch out for symbols that are new in GTK 2.24, but there aren't many of those and they're clearly indicated in the developer documentation.

You say you're learning C++. If you have good reason to do that, then fine, but note that GTK itself is written in C and is C-oriented. Using C++ will complicate matters. You say you're new to this, so let me point out that C and C++ are separate languages and although C++ interfaces for GTK are available (gtkmm) the more standard development path is to use C with GTK.

Allin Cottrell