Keybindings

Hi all
       I want to simply press a keybinding and run a function that shows
hidden widgets is this possible and if so, how? It strikes me as something
not too difficult, but I am a self taught C programmer so I may simply not
know what such a thing would be called. I have already used an accelerator
group to work with widgets on screen, but what I want to do here has no
widget to click or whatever to show these.

Thanks,
Neil Munro